Sunday, June 4, 2017

Meals on wheels: Gwangju, Korea, day three

On my third day in Gwangju, I woke up to a beautiful early summer day (on a matress that even by my standards is way too hard. What's the point in having a matress if lying on it feels like sleeping on the floor?). Since I wanted to go hiking, I started the day with a hearty breakfast.


On the recommendation of my sister, I went to BonGousse where she ordered her custom burger, which is a personal twist on of one their many rice burger variants (as I understood it, it's the tuna burger minus the Spam and minus the red sauce... EDIT: according to my sister, I "got it all wrong." She said that "it's the spam burger without the spam and the only available option without red sauce!" just to get that straight since I don't want to be accuseed of spreading fake news!).


Don't be fooled by the burger shape - it is actually eaten with a spoon! It's savoury but also slightly sweet and was the perfect breakfast!



































Then, I hopped on a bus that took me to the outskirts of Gwangju where several hiking trails start. Upon a flash of genius, I bought another bottle of water which turned out to be a good decision because the hike was basically a 2 hour uphill path... Needless to say I was completely exhausted when I got to the top of the mountain, but the view of Gwangju was worth it.












































Koreans are avid hikers, they hike like pros, clad in colorful hiking gear. They might be fit enough to use the sports equipment that were right on the mountain peak. To me, they felt like an ironic statement regarding my poor physical shape... 






















An amazing idea are these wells and brushes with which you can clean your shoes at the end of a long hiking day!


copyright of all photos j.

No comments:

Post a Comment