Sunday, October 23, 2016

Carrot Cake

Though it looks like I am no longer cooking or baking but travelling instead, I do actually still stand in the kitchen regularly. By popular demand, I am actually posting a receipe today, hooray, fanfare, hooray!


Though Rübli-Torte is the nicer word, I have actually always preferred the American carrot cake over the Swiss kind. I learned about this recipe through my knitting buddies many many years ago and it has since become a staple, so I could hardly believe it when two friends said that they wanted to bake "my" carrot cake but couldn't find the recipe on the blog! 




I was dead sure I had taken photos of it some time ago. And indeed, I found them on an external hard drive that weighs 1 kilo and can probably store no more than 100 MB?!? I'm not even kidding. Needless to say, I didn't like the photos anymore, but what a perfect excuse (not that i needed one...) to make carrot cake this weekend!

Carrot cake with cream cheese lemon frosting

150 gr of brown sugar
2 eggs
150 ml of oil
2 tablespoons of milk
a pinch of salt
250 gr of flour
1 large tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
200 gr of grated carrots
60 gr of chopped walnuts 

250gr of cream cheese
50 gr or less of confectioner's sugar
lemon juice


Grate the carrots and chop the walnuts. Preheat the oven at 180°C. Mix the brown sugar, the eggs, the oil and the milk then add the salt, flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the carrots and the walnuts and pour into a baking pan. Bake for about 30-40 minutes.
Let the cake cool completely. Mix the cream cheese with the confectioner's sugar and some lemon juice (I like my frosting more tart than sweet) and once the cake has cooled completely, add the frosting. 
Tastes best with a cup of tea (at least I always think that carrot cake doesn't go well together with coffee...).




































copyright of all photos j.

2 comments:

  1. Mmh, deine Fotos sehen lecker aus! Den Kuchen werde ich auch sehr bald wieder backen - es stehen nämlich ein paar Geburtstagsfeiern ins Haus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geburtstage sind natürlich ein perfekter Anlass, aber für diesen Kuchen ist jeder Anlass gut genug! Vielen Dank nochmal für das Rezept, wie Du siehst, zieht es seine Kreise immer weiter!

      Delete