Saturday, November 7, 2015

Biarritz, France: les halles

The Atlantic Ocean is the first ocean I ever saw in my life, it is the first ocean I ever dipped my feet into, it's where I saw the statue of liberty for the first time when I was about 6 years old, sitting in the dunes and my dad told me to look closely and I would see it on the horizon, in short: other contintes might also border on nice oceans, but there is only one Atlantic ocean.






















Now, if on a maritime scale, the Atlantic Ocean is the mother of all oceans, my point of reference, the same holds true for the French cuisine when I think about my culinary point of reference.
Birritz in that sense offers both reference points on a golden platter. The incredible, wild Atlantic and the halles of Biarritz, a true foodie paradise.























Thanks to my mother, I knew that there would be a night market around les halles on Wednesday and it turned out the perfect way for me to eat myself through a variety of local produce.






























Piggy looked a little sad, maybe it knew that on the other side of the market stall, cornets of ham were for sale...






































A variety of finger food, like foie gras burgers for 5 Euros were on display (unfortunately with truffle oil, how dare one ruin foie gras with truffle oil?)


































On regular days - every day - the market hall is open from 7:30 to 13:30, and the perfect way to start your day in Biarritz is to go there to shop for breakfast and a beach picknick. In my case, that would always include a pain aux raisins, a local yoghurt, two different kinds of brebis, a baguette grand siècle, some tomatoes, apricots and mirabelles, what more do you need?

















I don't believe in God, but cheeses is my saviour!





 
































































If you don't find the time (or the car) to go to Espelette, you can also buy a variety of Piment d'Espelette in the market hall, together with other locally sourced products that make a good souvenir. 








Ocean + awesome food = happiness!


copyright of all photos j.

No comments:

Post a Comment