Monday, March 9, 2015

Giverny

It's March and technically speaking, I am closer to this year's summer vacation than to last year's. But I still have one post left unpublished from last year's summer vacation and when I was enjoying the sun in Berlin today and reading through my (private) written and drawn diary I made in France, I thought I might as well go ahead and publish this last, summer-bursting post. Visiting Giverny was actually the reason for me to stay a couple of nights in Paris after having hiked along the coast in Bretagne. I had been in Monet's garden 20 years ago as a little girl and when I visited the water lillies at the MOMA in New York on several occasions while living there in 2013 and 2014, I really wanted to go back to Giverny.

























As a child, I couldn't think of anything worse than having to go to different parks with my parents on vacations, with one exception: Monet's garden. I remember being thoroughly impressed by it and the children's book about Linnéa in the artist's garden was one of my favorite!













Getting there is easy: you take the train from Paris Saint-Lazare to Vernon from where there are shuttle buses. Go early though as many many many many people have the same agenda. As a matter of fact, even when you arrive at Giverny as early as when the garden opens, you will still have to wait in line for at least 20 minutes. By the time I left around 1 pm, the line at the entrance had even grown! The train ride is beautiful, following the Seine, and you should by no means play candy crush and just stare into your mobile phone as the American tourist sitting opposite of me did the entire ride. I mean why spent an awefully huge amount of money to fly all the way to Europe when you could play braindead computer games at home?





















The crowd is also the problem of the garden: So. many. people. There are people everywhere. You can only walk in one direction or you would clog up the entire flow. I don't recall this place to be this crowded from when I was there as a child. It was almost impossible to enjoy the beauty of the place because it feels so overrun. And yes, it was a true challenge to make the garden appear void of human life on these photos. Nevertheless I would always come back to visit because if you can somehow manage to ignore the masses it is just so, so beautiful!























































copyright of all photos j.

No comments:

Post a Comment