Sunday, January 11, 2015

Meals on wheels: Budapest, Hungary

Ok, ok, fine, fair enough, I won't make the hungry-Hungary pun on words... Fine then. Our annual Nutracker trip took us to Budapest in 2014. Apart from the absolutely stunning performance (definitely one of the best waltz of the snowflakes I have ever seen!!), we of course also enjoyed sight seeing, flea markets, hot springs and food!

































I had a bad start though since I was too sick to eat anything but Tuc-trackers the first day. I guess it's fair to say that I did some catching up for that on Saturday when I, amongst other things, had two Strudel for breakfast...
In Budapest, make sure to have a look at the central market hall. Paprika is what will catch your eye wherever you look. 






Whatever you do, make sure to have a slice of this Zserbó at the Lipóti Pékség bakery in the market hall. It's one of the most delicious sweets I've ever had. And now that I just googled it, I found a recipe which I will definitely have to make in the near future.



Budapest is famous for its coffee house culture and we made sure to squeeze in visits to the two most famous coffee houses.


On Saturday, we went to Gerbeaud, Budapest's most prestigious coffee house. I had a Gerbeaud slice, which tasted out of this world. It features amongst others chocolate ganache and walnut-almond marzipan! (and might be the same as Zserbó?)



The place was packed, but the waitresses were extremely patient and friendly. The café looks marvelous, especially shortly before Christmas and it definitely has a k. und k. feel to it and almost immediately, you feel the compulsion to say Sissssssi and Frrrrranz! The prices are however also quite royal....





On Sunday, right before relaxing at the Széchenyi thermal baths, we went to New York Café, again an architecurally very impressive building and a coffee house with a lot of history - amongst others, Thomas Mann used to be a regular when he visited Budapest. 



I had one of their cake variations, while my sister had foie gras.



If you only have time to visit one coffee house, I would definitely recommend Gerbeaud over the New York Café except what I really liked about the New York Café was the fact that they had a piano player sit and play in the café.

 copyright of all photos j.

No comments:

Post a Comment