Saturday, May 26, 2012

This week's theme: Favorites! Santa Monica Farmers Market, Malibu and whales

Hipp Hipp Hooray! The new Wes Anderson movie just came out! Anyone as excited as I am??? My favorite movie of all times is Wes Anderson's Hotel chevalier. Not a scene too much, not a detail too much, not a word too much. 13 minutes of perfection. Funny how I can have a favorite movie, but not a favorite dish. When it comes to food, I am very indecisive. I guess that's because there are a lot of incredible products and creative people preparing them but very little talented movie makers...
Anyway, let's stick to the theme of favorites. My all time favorite farmers market in California is in Santa Monica. It's a true must to visit it on every Saturday I am in town. 



Here is my plan for a perfect Saturday morning (and sometimes, morning can mean mid-day...) in Los Angeles and its surroundings.
First, take the car and drive down Wilshire Boulevard from downtown LA. That might take longer than the interstate, but I like Wilshire and you get to see quite a lot of the town.
Second, when in Santa Monica, stop at Huckleberry Bakery & Coffee and buy an iced coffee latte. It's the best one I have had during my entire time in California.
Third, drive all the way to dowtown Santa Monica and take your time strolling around the farmers market. 

  
 
 
Buy a danish with caramel and fleure de sel as well as a crostata with strawberries from Valerie at the market


Try the strawberries and raspberries at each and every stall until you found the best ones. Buy at least one basket of each. Don't forget to sip on your iced coffee latte every now and then. Buy some freshly squeezed orange juice. 


Stop buy the Santa Barbara pistachio stall. Buy the breathtakingly cheap organic pistachios. My favorite kinds are the unsalted and the slightly salted ones which come already peeled for 10 $!!!! Buy some pistachio flour, and ask the unbelievably kind lady what to do with it (bread some schnitzels with it, she said and I did, and yes, yummy yummy yummy). 


Buy some dried nectarines and peaches to nibble on right then and there.
Fourth, get back into the car. Drive along Pacific Coast Highway 1 to Malibu. I know, it's a cliché, but Malibu really IS that pretty. I wouldn't have gone back there if it wasn't. Stop at the little mall right when you get into Malibu. Buy a turkey, melted brie and lingonberry sandwhich at the Malibu Kitchen & Gourmet Country Market. Sometimes, nothing tastes as good as a slobby sandwhich. 


Fifth, drive to Zuma Beach in Malibu, spread your picknick blanket in the sand, place the strawberries, the raspberries, the orange juice and the cakes from valerie's within reach, and the sandwhich in your hand. Munch on your sandwhich and nibble on the fruits!

 copyright of all photos j.
Sixth, just so happen to be there when a family of three whales swims up the shore! Impressive! Magical! Surreal!

See more photos of the Santa Monica Farmers Market from when I was there last time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment