Sunday, January 15, 2012

Happy Easter

It's been a while. Hello back. Happy new year and happy Easter, just in case. But then, I have so many things in the pipeline, I WILL be back before Easter. And I also will post a recipe soon (noticed just the other day that there have been a lot of recipe-free posts lately). I will share the deluxe monday lunch box recipe with you, and also the classic carrot cake with cream cheese frosting cupcake recipe. I will let you know all about my new Japanese Deli sanctuary. I will also share the culinary findings of my pre-christmassy-trip to Copenhagen. But before all that, I will share some Christmas-food pictures with you. 
We had so much food it makes me dizzy just thinking about it. I will share two dinners with you here. Honest as I am, I will not claim that I stood in the kitchen. What you will see now is my Mom's oeuvre.


It has become a tradition in our family to have roast venison on the 26th which is my grandmother's birthday and when she was still alive, my Mom always prepared her favorite dish. We kept the tradition alive because it is the perfect dish for christmas: greasy and tasty, a good basis for an afternoon nap on the couch. We usually have it with Semmelknödel, caramelized chestnuts (the best!!!!), lingonberry-jam, pears, and a sauce mounted with crème fraîche. Did I mention that my Mom is the best?
 
 

Another very traditional Christmas dinner in our family is Tafelspitz, though none of us comes from Austria. We hadn't had it in the last couple of years so this year, upon my request, we brought it back on the menu! The meat, which is boiled in broth can sometimes be on the dry side, but this year's piece was cooked to perfection! Extremely tender meat with lots of different side dishes, what more can you ask for? I think what makes me love Tafelspitz so much are these side dishes, which are like a bouquet of different flavors: you have cold and fresh cucumber salad, boiled potatoes, spicy and creamy horse radish sauce, cold sweet and sour cucumbers (this time, homemade by my aunt) and again, lingon berry sauce (which I swear we don't eat with every dish, this is just a coincidence)!

 
 copyright of all photos j.

I don't know about you, but when I look at the photos, I can't wait for it to be Christmas again!

No comments:

Post a Comment