Sunday, July 24, 2011

Two things you can do with potatoes

Last weekend, I went to the open house weekend at the Weißensee Kunsthochschule. The place was buzzing with creativity and all the students got to present the fruits of their labor. The artworks were by far better than what the boring currently on display "based in Berlin"-show has to offer.  I particularly liked one piece of art, made with potatoes: a student had carved little figurines from potatoes and allowed them to turn moldy and fall into decay. Quite amazingly, as they shrank and turned darker, they imitated the human aging-process. If anyone knows the artist, let me know so I can credit him or her!


Now, on a more life-embrassing side, you can of course also use potatoes to cook. Which, I admit, I hardly ever do. I have always been a pasta-person and when I was little, dramas took place during dinner when my parents had decided to serve potatoes. Well, the older I get, the more potatoes sneak into my menu, that is, maybe 10 times a year, compared to 0 times a year.
The best potatoes you can get are the small ones at the beginning of the season. I like to use them for potatoe-salads. This time, I opted for a creamy version. It goes very well with grilled meat and fools you into believing it's summer, although it is raining 24/7.



copyrigth of all photos j.

Creamy potatoe salad

Two big handful of small (almond) potatoes
1/2 a cucumber
60 gr of crème fraîche
capers
salt
pepper

Boil the potatoes with their skin in salted water. Sratch the juicy parts out of the cucumber and cut the firm parts into pieces.  Cut the potatoes into slices. Mix the crème fraîche with a pinch of salt, a pinch of pepper, capers (I use a lot) and some of the fluid the capers come in. Now, add the potatoes and the cucumber. Put the salad into the fridge for an hour or two and then serve it in a nice, summery bowl. Serves 2 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment