Sunday, July 17, 2011

Rock 'n' Roll

See the flowers in the photos? They are my new second-favorite flowers. My favorite flowers are hollyhocks. They are pretty and wild, especially when all different kinds of colors are grouped together. I also love their English name, because for me, hollyhocks are always connected with vacationing, so hollydays and hollyhocks go well together even lexically. My second-favorite flower (future yet-to-be-met husband, I hope you are busy takings notes right now) used to be dahlias, but they had to make way for my new second-favorite flowers which are called drum sticks! Rock 'n' roll, baby! I love how simple, minimalistic and chic they are!
Ok, so how do I now build a bridge from talking about flowers to talking about this amazing, quick and dirty raspberry smulpaj? Let's just pretend this is a very artsy fartsy art house movie in which sharp cuts are loved and appreciated and even honored by critics.
When it comes to fresh berries, I am more into strawberries than into raspberries, which, comparing their prices, is a good thing for my wallet. But raspberries are my favorite fruit to go into a typical Swedish smulpaj. Since this post is already full of trivia, I can easily squeeze in the useseless information that I prefer the Italian word for raspberries: lamponi. Smulpajs (are you all still with me?) are crumble pies which are very typical for Sweden. You will find them at every café. They are very quickly put together and most of the ingredients should already be in your kitchen cabinets. Served with vanilla custard or vanilla ice cream, they also make a great dessert.






 copyright of all photos j.


Lamponi smulpaj

For one small pie dish you need:

raspberries (sorry, didn't count them)
2 tbs of brown sugar
2 tbs of flour
1 large tbs of  ground almonds
1 drop of bitter almond oil
1 tbs of butter

If you make more than one small pie dish (which should serve one person), just adjust the measurements. Preheat the oven at 170 °C. Put the rasperries into the pie dish, you don't have to line them up as pedantically as I did in the pictures. In a small bowl, mix all the other ingredients into small crumbles. Place the crumbles on top of the raspberries and put the pie dish into the oven. Side note: If you spill a little bit of the bitter almond oil on your fingers, don't lick it off, even if its smells seductively good. It is called bitter for a reason, you know (cause I didn't know). Put the pie in the oven for about 20 minutes, bake it another 3 minutes with the grill option on to make the crumbles really golden brown. Serve luke warm. 
This recipe also works with any other kind of fruit: nectarines, apricots, apples, you name them!

No comments:

Post a Comment