Sunday, June 26, 2011

Taboulé

One of my favorite take-along meals is taboulé. If it wasn't for all the chopping and dicing, it might also be one of my favorite dishes to prepare... Whenever I take the train, have a picknick or want a really, really tasty lunch box, I make taboulé salad. Most people use parsly to prepare it, I however use mint. It makes the salad so much more refreshing. I usually buy one of those thick bundles which you get at your local Turskish corner shop, take one or two stems to brew myself a nice cup of fresh min tea, and use the rest, chopped up, in the salad. Tomato dices and cucumber dices complement the color palette, diced feat cheese turns it into a real meal. Packed in small jam-preserving glasses, the salad is ready to accompany you wherever the day takes you!




 copyrigth of all photos j.

 Taboulé

 120 gr of couscous
10 baby tomatoes
1/2 a cucumber
1 bundle of mint
80 gr of feta cheese
olive oil
bouillon
1/2 lemon
salt and pepper

Prepare the couscous according to what the label says, but add some bouillon to the water. Let the couscous cool off while you dice the cucumber (I leave mine unpeeld but cut away the seeds in the middle), the tomatoes and the feta cheese. Chop up the mint and mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Flavor the couscous with some genrous spoons of olive oil and the juice of half a lemon, add salt and pepper, then mix the couscous with the other ingredients. The salad tastes best if you leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours before you eat it. Makes 2-3 portions.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love tabouleh, and you have just inspired me to make some this week! I've never seen it made it with couscous, though, always with bulgur wheat. Do you think couscous is better - should I give it a try?

    And... a *very* belated thank you for your crackled chocolate cookies recipe from earlier this year. I have made them six or seven times for our supperclub guests and always to great acclaim! I do tell them where I got the recipe from ;-)

    Hope to see you again some time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should give it a try! I prefer couscous because the grain is smaller and not so dominant.
    I'm glad you and your guests like the cookies, they are a hit everywhere I take them, too! If you want to try a new recipe from my blog, I would recommend the strawberry cappucino from Gothenburg! (http://schlachtplatten.blogspot.com/2010/07/strawberry-cappuccino-from-goteborg.html)
    It is super easy to prepare in advance (important if you have a large dinner crowd, I assume), and is my favorite summer dessert. It "wows" everyone who tries it!

    And last but not least, I think I will be back at your large table probably in september! I've been wanting to go several times, but other things always seem to interfer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wie lecker, noch eins meiner Lieblingsgerichte, die ich mir viel zu selten mache. Meine Lieblingsvariante ist mit frischem Koriander!

    ReplyDelete