Sunday, June 5, 2011

Shaun the brioche

I feel a little sheepish about my first attempt at making brioche....
So tell me, all you talented brioche-bakers out there, what is the secret? How do you keep the top-ball from sliding to the side?
Are my balls too big or too small? Were they not exactly centered when I placed them on the bottom-ball? Was I supposed to let the balls rise seperately?
In any case, they tasted great, though my favorite yeast dough is still made with heavy cream instead of butter.





copyrigth of all photos j.


Shaun the brioche

180 gr of flour (type 505)
1/2 sachet of dry yeast
1/2 a tsp of baking powder
100 ml of warm milk
50 gr of warm butter
25 gr of sugar
a pinch of salt
1 egg yoke
optional: small chunks of chocolate

The night before: Heat the butter and the milk until they are lukewarm. Mix the flour, the yeast, the sugar, the baking powder and the salt, then add the milk-butter-mix. Mix well until you have a smooth, round dough ball in your bowl. Let rise for about 40 minutes. Knead the dough again, separating it into 5 small balls. Four of those will be your bottoms, if you want, place a chunk of chocloate in them, close them, and place them with the smooth side up into a brioche pan (or muffin pan). Take the fifth ball and separate it into four small balls, which will be your top-balls. Carefully place them on top of the bottom balls and make a wish to the "let-my-top-ball-stay-centered-brioche-fairy". Now, place the pan in the fridge where the brioches will rise over night.
In the morning: Take the brioches out of the fridge. Preheat the oven at 170 °C. Paint the brioches with the egg yoke. Bake them for about 25 minutes, until they are golden brown. The ones with a heart of chocolate taste best fresh out of the oven, when the chocolate is still somewhat runny.
Baaaaaaaaa!

3 comments:

  1. I think that ´s because of the rotation of the earth, after half the time you have to turn them.no realy they look very nice and I think the important thing is ,that they taste fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ juhe: haha, mister "physiklehrer" is speaking! Guess I will bake my next batch of brioche on the moon then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hihi, die sind ja süß. Sehen wirklich aus wie kleine Schafe!

    ReplyDelete