Sunday, May 1, 2011

Weird things my sister does

1. My dishes when she is in Berlin. I have breakfast, leave the apartment, she comes over to my place during the day, does all the dishes, and leaves again. Like an elf that goes unseen.
2. Comparing songs. No matter which song, she will know another one which has the same bridge, sounds exactly like, or reminds her very strongly of song X.
3. Travel everywhere by train. No, really. Everywhere. Even if it means a 41 hour train ride.Only very laid-back people do that.

I feel guilty for fact number one. I mean, what a luxury. So, to make up for it, I made her a snack for her last train ride. That 41 hour long one. It was only possible because she had to change trains in Berlin, and so we met up at the station and I handed her some Schinkenhörnchen, which a couple of hours later, she gladly bit into while the Eastern European Steppe was slowly passing by outside the train window. Schinkenhörnchen are croissants filled with swiss cheese and ham and are one of the most traditional German picknick and travel snacks. They taste great during train rides, but also on a picknick blanket at your local park!


copyright of all photos j.

Schinkenhörnchen

4 sheets of frozen puff pastry sheets
4 slices of ham, cut into small pieces
swiss cheese
1 egg yoke
3 spoons of milk

Defrost the puff pastry. Preheat the oven at 180°C. Place equal amounts of ham and swiss cheese on each puff pastry sheet. Close them and make sure that the edges are thoroughly closed. I sometimes use a fork to tightly squeeze the two parts together. Mix the egg yoke and the milk and dab each puff pastry pocket with the egg-n-milk mix. Put the 4 Schinkenhörnchen on a baking sheet and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes. 4 Schinkenhörnchen will make a great dinner for two, or a wonderful snack for one person during a 20 hour train ride!

4 comments:

  1. My sister does weird things too! She prefers cooking to doing the dishes! She listens to people’s ramblings about parts of songs that sound exactly like parts of other songs and she takes the plane to certain destinations although there are direct trains!! Watch out, we might be the weird sisters!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure more people would take the train instead of flying if they got your delicious Schinkenhörnchen as a snack!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, can you give her my address as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was young (or better younger than today! copyright lennon mc.cartney) there was a spot: I´d walk a mile for a Camel! Your sister could say: I´d ride miles by train for a SCHINKENHÖRNCHEN!

    ReplyDelete