Sunday, May 22, 2011

Squirrel cake

Sometimes, I tend to be very animalistic. Especially when it comes to stockpiling things. Last summer, I was so sad to see apricot season slowly fade, because, man, were those apricots sweet and juicy! So, what to do about it? A foodie's solution goes like this: you buy an extra kilo and put them in the freezer. My only problem is that I never find the right moment to eat such stockpiled delicacies. Whenever I want to make something with them, I realize that once I use them, they will be gone, so of course, I keep them for an even better occasion...On Saturday, I went to the market, and guess what I saw there: this season's first apricots! Which was when I thought ohmygodohmygod, I still have a kilo of apricots in my freeeeeezer! Like a stupid squirrel, I first postpone the use of my stocks and then I forget about them entirely.
So I went home, made this cake, and felt happy. End of the story.






copyrigth of all photos j.
Squirrel cake

2 sheets of puff pastry
1 egg
150 gr of sour cream, or crème fraiche 
1 sachet of vanilla sugar
1 tbs of sugar
3 apricots (frozen or fresh)

Defrost the puff pastry and the apricots. Preheat the oven at 200 ° C. Place the puff pastry in a 20 cm diameter baking pan. In a small bowl, mix the egg, the sour cream, the vanilla sugar and the sugar. Pour the mixture on top of the puff pastry and add the apricots on top. Bake for about 20-30 minutes. Serves 2-3 people. This recipe also works very well with other fruits, apples, pears, cherries, plums, you name them. It is also a quick and dirty solution if you are in desperate need of a cake, since basically, you should find all the ingredients in your kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Das klingt nach dem perfekten Rezept für die Mama mit wenig Zeit zum Backen ;) Werd ich bei nächster Gelegenheit gleich ausprobieren - allerdings mit frischen Aprikosen! Ich bin ja sogar deinem Beispiel gefolgt und hab im letzten Herbst auch noch Aprikosen eingefroren. Die waren aber nach kurzer Zeit ganz schrumplig, da hab ich sie weggeworfen :( Oder sehen die immer so aus im gefrorenen Zustand? Hätte ich sie vielleicht in Gefrierbeutel packen müssen? Wie dem auch sei, als ich jetzt die ersten Aprikosen im Supermarkt gesehen habe, musste ich sofort an deine Knödel denken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hast du den Kuchen etwa ganz alleine aufgegessen? Sag nicht, den gabs zum Stricktreffen und ich war nicht da ...

    ReplyDelete