Sunday, April 3, 2011

Three things I would take along to a deserted island

Wohooo, I made it! I overcame my urge to procrastinate! J. versus procrastination 1:0!!!! This week, we are making granola. Breakfast casserole is for weekend breakfast. Granola is for everyday breakfast. Making granola is totally easy-peasy and it seems to be incredibly popular among food-bloggers lately. Check out la tartine gourmand's version, the chocolaty delicious days granola or Helena Ljunggren's chokladmüsli (love her blog, check it out even if you don't speak Swedish!) I read many different granola-recipes last week, and finally decided to go with the foodie in Berlin's version only to then add some pecans, leave out some seeds, some yoga, change a little bit of this and a little bit of that, so I guess this granola is nothing like the foodie in Berlin's granola but I am pretty sure hers and mine are both delicious!
I like my granola best in a large bowl, with slices of banana and the granola island in the middle topped off with three raspberries! 






copyrigth of all photos j.


Granola

300 gr of rolled oats
100 gr of pecans, cut into small pieces
100 gr of slivered almonds
100 gr of raisins
65 ml of oil
100 ml of honey
30 gr or brown sugar
1 package of vanilla sugar
65 ml of water
a pinch of salt

In a pan, mix the oil, the honey, the brown sugar, the vanilla sugar and the water and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Be as careful as a scout in the woods! We are making syrup here. Syrup is incredibly hot and will leave ugly burn-marks on your hands if not handled with care. It also tends to boil over if you divert your attention to something else. In a large bowl, mix the oats, the pecans and the almonds, then pour the syrup into the bowl. Make sure all the dry ingredients are covered with syrup. Spread the mix on two baking sheets. Bake in the oven at 180 °C for 15 minutes, watch so that the granola does not burn. Reduce the temperature to 150 °C  and bake for another 45-60 minutes or until the granola is golden brown. Open the oven every now  and then and stirr the granola. Let the granola cool off and dry out completely on the baking sheets for another 2-3 hours. Keeps nice and fresh in a metal box for, I guess, 3 weeks. 
Best weekday-breakfast ever and a GREAT midnight snack!

2 comments:

  1. Pecans are a genius addition, hard to come by around here though I think.
    My granola is finished so I better make another batch soon, it will go really well with my rhubarb compote.
    Great photos, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @foodie in Berlin: Thanks! I usually buy the pecans at organic supermarkets. They are somehwat expensive, but then I don't think they would be that much cheaper in the regular supermarket.

    ReplyDelete