Sunday, April 24, 2011

Plaited yeast bun(ny)

"This is worse than Christmas Eve!" I said to my sister yesterday (via Skype, this is the 21st century after all...). It's the first year I am making a traditional German Easter bun, and, since I like yeast buns best when they are fresh, I wanted to prepare everything Saturday evening, and then bake the bun Sunday morning! So, when the dough had risen, the strings had been plaited, and the bun was placed in the fridge to slowly rise some more over night, I was full of aniticipation and excitment! Like a child on christmas morning, tipteoing to the christmas tree, I opened the fridge this morning, and there it was, the bun had beautifully risen. In the oven, for 35 minutes, in the photo studio for 5, on the plate, and in the belly in no time!




  copyrigth of all photos j.

Small plaited yeast bun(ny)

125 ml of heavy cream
250gr of flour (505 type)
1 tsp of dry yeast
40 gr of sugar
zests of an organic lemon
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 egg white
some milk mixed with an egg yoke
raisins if you like

Warm up the heavy cream in a casserole. In the meantime, mix the flour, the sugar, the yeast, the zests, the egg and the egg white, then add the heavy cream (and the raisins if you like). Mix thoroughly for about 5 minutes. Then set the dough aside and let it rise in a warm spot. After about an hour, take the dough, divide it into three pieces and form long strings with each part. Now braid the three strings, place the bun on a baking sheet, cover it which a bowl and leave it in the fridge over night. In the morning, mix the milk with the egg yoke and spread the mixture over the bun. Bake it in the oven for about 30-35 minutes. Enjoy with butter, fleure de sel, and jam (Thanks a million, Kat, for sparing your last glas for me, just because you know how much I liked your jam!)

4 comments:

  1. I wish I would have found your recipe yesterday. I made a yeast dough over night rising in the fridge, but it had to rise again. So it will take at least another 1 1/2 hours before we can have breakfast. I will be starved.
    Your Easter bun looks beautiful. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ My Kitchen in the Rockies: Yes, it worked perfectly! Since it was my first time making an Easter bun, it might have also been beginner's luck though!Hope you had a great (late) Easter breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  3. Das Copyright auf die Marmelade habe ich, oder? ;)
    Schaut sooo lecker aus dein Zöpfchen, zum Reinbeißen!
    Ich kriege grad so Lust auch wieder mehr zu kochen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. du wirst es kaum glauben, aber selbst ich habe mich diese ostern in die küche gewagt. heraus kam ein wunderschönes osterlamm. das war aber auch gleich am nächsten morgen wieder weg... nächste ostern versuch ich mich vielleicht auch mal an deinem rezept hier. einmal im jahr kochen/backen, das schaff sogar ich!

    ReplyDelete