Sunday, April 10, 2011

fishquiche

Do you see the adorable fish-container in the photos? It used to stand in front of the window of an antiques store around the corner. I used to walk past it for, like, a year, always stopping and admiring it. I loved the freckles on the fish, I loved the simple shape, I just really liked stopping by there every now and then. Then, one weekend, shortly before Christmas, it was all of a sudden gone! I was so sad, thinking, someone else with less deciding-anxiety and a larger wallet than me had bought it on the spot. So for the first time, I actually walked into the store, instead of just looking into it from the outside. I frantically asked the shop owner about the whereabouts of the fish container. She calmly announced that all that had happened was that she had changed the shop window decorations as Christmas was approaching. I guess everyone in the store could hear my sigh of relief. I understood this as a sign and finally decided to buy it. I guess it is one of the most expensive useless items I have ever bought, but I am so happy I did! Every time I pass it on my way in and out of the kitchen, I smile when I see it! And today, we are baking fish quiche!



copyrigth of all photos j.


Quiche-the bottom

200 gr of flour
125 gr of butter
1 egg, some cold water if needed
1 pinch of salt

Cut the butter into small pieces into a bowl with the flour. Add the egg and the salt. Now mix everything, adding a little water so that everything combines. Don't mix for too long. It doesn't matter if you still can see chunks of butter in the dough-ball. As a a matter of fact, the quiche will in the end be better if you do. Now wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge for a couple of hours. I usually prepare the dough in the morning and then bake the quiche in the evening.

In the evening, preheat the oven at 160 ° C. Take out the doughball, and roll out the dough using a rolling pin. You need a little flour on the surface so that the dough won't stick to the pin. Place the dough in a quiche baking dish and put it in the oven for about 20 minutes. 

the topping

2 carrots
1 leak
2 salmon filets
3-4 eggs
250 gr cream

Cut the vegetables into small pieces and sauté it in a pan. Cut the salmon into small pieces, no need to sauté it. Mix the eggs with the cream, add some salt and pepper. Once the quiche was in the oven for about 20 minutes, take it out and evenly spread the vegetables and the salmon on the crust. Pour over the egg-cream-mix. Put the quiche back into the oven for about 40-60 minutes or until the egg-cream-mix has set.

The quiche tastes great staight out of the oven, but also the next day as a cold snack. I like to accompany it with a nice bowl of salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment