Sunday, March 6, 2011

A vegan cake??

I don't want to sound arrogant, but rumor has it, I was born with a brain. A pretty useful one. Sometimes, I have my moments though, when the pendulum of smartness swings back into the very dark and far away corner of my brain. That's exactly what happened when I made this cake. I had found the recipe already some time ago, and last weekend felt absolutely the right time to finally bake it. So, already on Friday, I was thinking to myself 'I can't believe I am baking a vegan cake! Me, the lover of a decent medium-rare filet! Me, the person who loves food so much she would never have her diet restricted to only some foods!'. Yep, that's what it sounds like when I talk to myself in my brain. 
Anyway, I had the plan, I made a shopping list, and I went shopping at the market. I asked for butter, I asked for chocolate and I asked for eggs.
That was Friday. Saturday, I got up and was thinking 'So this is the day I am baking a vegan cake?? Wild! Crazy!'. I got up, took the butter out of the fridge, took the eggs out of the fridge so that they would be at room-temperture. No suspicion on my side yet. Honestly, it took me until the cracking of the eggs that I realized that I was not baking a vegan cake, but a gluten free cake! Dark and far away side of my brain that is...definitely.
Luckily, I am a person who enjoys a good laugh so I actually like the pendulum to swing into that dark corner every now and then - I am always one laugh richer afterwards!
The cake itself is a true revelation, so moist and perfect, I will never make chocolate cake with flour again. In fact, I think this cake is the best thing you can do with a bag of finely ground almonds.






copyrigth of all photos j. 


The so-not-vegan-but-gluten-free chocolate cake

200 g butter
200 g dark or semidark chocolate 
200 g ground almonds
4 eggs
1 bag of vanilla sugar
200 g sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
a pinch of salt
 
Preheat the oven to 180 °C. In a bain-marie, melt the butter with the chocolate until well combined. Roast the ground almonds in a pan. That might take a while, but once they are a little brown, pay close attention, because they easily get burned as well. Beat the eggs, the sugar, the vanilla sugar and the pinch of salt, then carefully add the almond-flour and the baking powder. Pour into a 26 cm spring pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a knife stuck into the cake comes out clean. It's an easy-peasy cake, I promise!

Now set the table with some flowers, cause they make you happy, cut off a big slice, sprinkle with some confectioner's sugar and digg into the cake!

I found the recipe 'in the rockies'!

No comments:

Post a Comment