Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cheese crackers

Although I live in Germany, I don't really like sausages. Kind of makes sense that I don't like Schlachtplatte which always comes with sausages. But even cold cuts on sandwiches are not my cup of tea. I am more of a cheese person. Goat cheese, Manchego, Gruyère, Cheddar - I like them all. And cookies, I looove cookies, I am sure you already took notice of that. So, why not combine the two? Salty cheese cookies, or, to be precise, crackers is what I made last week. Sooo yummy! Cracker really is the right word because they make fabulous crackling noices when you chew them and at the same time, they somehow melt in your mouth - a funky texture combo!






copyrigth of all photos j.

Cheese crackers

150 gr of flour
150 gr of grated cheese (Swiss, Gruyère, Cheddar or any hard cheese of your preference)
150 gr of butter
1 egg yoke
sesame seeds or any other kind of seeds

In a bowl, mix the flour with the grated cheese. Add the butter, cut into small pieces. Add the eggyoke and mix everything thoroughly. Cover the dough with clingfilm and put it in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes. 
Now, roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out cookies using cookie cutters such as round shapes, hearts, fish, etc. Preheat the oven at 200 °C. Repeat until no dough is left and place the cut out cookies on a backing sheet. Sprinkle the cookies with sesame seeds, sunflower seeds or the seeds of your liking. Bake the cookies for about 15-20 minutes, until they have a nice, golden color. 

The cookies are a great snack, go very well with an aperitif, or are perfect for a picnic in the park!
I was soo sure that I had a heart-shaped cookie cutter, but once again, my memory proved unreliable. I still hope that this recipe is accepted as a valentine's recipe in the valentine's blog event hosted by Alice, as I am sure lovebirds would  like to feed each other these crackers!

1 comment:

  1. Vielen Dank für diese knusprige Picknickidee und für die Teilnahme am Valentinstagsevent :)

    Viele Grüße aus Bayern
    Alice

    ReplyDelete