Sunday, January 9, 2011

Say NO to New Year's resolutions!

Phew, the last few posts all featured sweets! It's best to wave goodbye your new year's resolutions now or you might as well stop reading here. I promise to bring on a hearty recipe soon, honestly, but in the meantime, we are baking a chocolate pound cake! I found this chocolate cake over on smitten kitchen already some time ago, and since it seemed full of dense, dark chocolate rather than full of sugar, I absolutely had to try it. One of the best things about this cake is that you only need one bowl -  a very essential criteria if you don't have a dishwasher and hate doing the dishes as much as I do. I liked the cake a lot, since its description was true: you get a very chocolaty but not overtly sweet cake. However, I thought it was laking something. Some cream, or maybe something fruity? I scanned my fridge and laid eyes on a jar of super tasty sour-peach-jam which I had gotten from a friend. She's a pharmacist and knows how to add an extra little pulverized vitamin C to her jams, a trick which I will have to apply as well when jam-making-season is in full swing again!
And, wow, what an explosion of flavors - chocolate with tard jam, gotta love it! Now that the jar is empty, I won't be baking this cake again until my friend will make some more jam next summer!





copyrigth of all photos j.


Chocolate pound cake

125 gr of butter at room temperature
225 gr of brown sugar
100 gr of white sugar
1 pakage of vanilla sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
240 ml of buttermilk
190 gr of flour
75 gr of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp of natron
1/2 tsp of baking powder
a pinch of salt


Preheat the oven at 180 °C. Line a pound cake pan with baking parchment or grease the pan thoroughly. In a large bowl, whisk the butter, then add the brown, white and vanilla sugar. Add the egg and mix well. Add the buttermilk. At this point, things might start to look a little lumpy, but don't worry, it'll work out in the end! Now, add all the other dry ingredients and mix only until they are fully absorbed by the moist ingredients. Pour the dough into the baking pan and bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a wooden stick that you poke into the cake comes out clean (= the cake is baked all the way through). While the cake is in the oven, you can go and have fun watching ickle and Lardee bake a cake. Let cool off in the pan for 10 minutes, then take the cake out of the pan.

I recommed a fruity jam to go with it, how about bitterorange jam for instance?

This cake was posted on smitten kitchen under the name of Everyday chocolate cake. I converted the measurements from cups to gr.

2 comments:

  1. @ Jazzy E. Thanks! I really like your photography, especially those with a vintage touch!

    ReplyDelete