Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?

Dear sister,
if I promise to make another batch of these cookies next week, will you promise to clean the bain marie for me? Pretty please with sugar on top? 
Imagine brownies. Imagine bite-size brownies. Imagine bite-size brownies that stay crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside and nice for, say, 10 days in a tin box. You may say, I'm a dreamer, but clearly, I am not the only one, because Miss Martha-I-know-what-a-prison-looks-like-from-the-inside-cause-I-am-greedy-Stewart clearly also dreamt about such chocolate cookies and had her crew develop the recipe for crackled chocolate cookies. I found them first through Bakerella's blog and I must say that her's look prettier because they crackled nicer. But it's all about inner values anyway, right? I like them, my friends like them, my sister likes them, so what about you? 





 copyright of all photos j.

Crackled chocolate cookies (with sugar on top!)

100 gr of melted dark chocolate
80 gr of flour
30 gr of dutch cocoa powder
1 tsp. of baking powder
pinch of salt
60 gr of butter at room temperature
130 gr of brown sugar
1 large egg at room temperature
1 package of vanilla sugar
40 ml of milk
confectioner's sugar

Melt the chocolate in a bain marie and let it cool off a little again. Beat the butter, the vanilla sugar and the brown sugar with a mixer until fluffy. Add the egg, the melted chocolate, then the flour, the salt, the cocoa powder and the baking powder, lastly the milk. Wrap the dough in plastic and put it into the freezer for about an hour. 
Preheat the oven  at 180°C when you take the dough out of the freezer. Cut the dough into small squares (2X2cm). Put some confectioner's sugar into a soup plate. With your hands, role each square into small balls which you then roll around in the confectioner's sugar until they are compeletly covered. Place the balls on a baking sheet, leaving some space between them. Bake for about 12-15 minutes.

The cookies taste great with this banana milk, so make sure you have some over-due bananas at home.

I found this recipe via Bakerella over on Martha's page, and converted the measurements from cups to gramms, slightly adapting the recipe. I must say that I found the original rather carelessly written. First thing on the directions is to preheat the oven. Then, you are supposed to leave the batter in the fridge for 2 hours. Okay, folks, who seriously would leave the oven on for 2 hours while the batter is cooling off in the fridge?? Even my so-not-state-of-the-art-oven heats up in, say, 10 minutes! So Martha, the recipe rocks, the directions don't!

3 comments:

  1. Funny, the Martha Stewart joke and your pictures are getting really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear sister, sure, I can clean the bain marie for you, I promise, but that means I won’t have time to look through the boxes and rid your place of my stuff! Just saying…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I`m not so sure, if they are developed by Martha, I did them in december and added a little Lebkuchen spice, which worked perfect!
    ...and found them here:

    http://www.rosenmehl.de/sites/rosenmehl/backkarten_popup.jsp?recName_backkarte_rosenmehl=backkarte8620&download=x

    ReplyDelete