Saturday, December 11, 2010

Same same but different

I guess when all you have seen for ten days in a row is snow, it makes sense to post a recipe for white food. Sort of blends in with the onset of winter which we have lately braved here in Berlin. I found this recipe for a blanquette de la mer on her blog already some time ago and it reminded me very much of my childhood: every time we would go to a gault-millau-rated-higher-than-16 restaurant I would order a dish with fish, a creamy sauce based on white wine, and some rice. That was before I was old enough to enjoy a 5 course dinner, of course.  I don't recall being a picky eater, but apparently, there was one occation where I insisted on having french fries at a very high-end restaurant in France. According to my liking, the garcon started to call me "the belgian girl". Whether I got the french fries or not, I can't remember, but I am pretty suere that my parents ordered something else for me instead.

The blanquette tasted really nice, hot and steamy as it was. I still think the acidic flavor of the white wine goes excellent with the fish! It was same same but different though, since I made some changes to the original recipe. For instance, I did not use shrimp. I also made some more vanilla carrots to make sure that some little vitamine would find its way into the dish as well. 





 copyrigth of all photos j.

 Blanquette de la mer

400 gr of monkfish
300 gr of salmon
200 ml of vegetable stock
100 ml of dry white wine
1 egg yolke
120 gr of crème fraîche
1 small onion
1 dry bay leaf
salt
pepper

Cut the onion into tiny dices, braise them lightly in a casserole. Cut the fish into dices, say between 1,5 and 2 cm. Add the diced fish into the casserole and braise for a moment, then add the vegetable stock,  the bay leaf and the white wine. Let simmer for about 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper according to your taste. Now, mix the crème fraîche with the egg yolk and bind the sauce. Do not bring the sauce to a full boil after you have added the egg, or it will curdle. 
This is a quick and easy dinner that leaves enough time to prepare rice and some vegetables on the side!
Makes between 2-3 servings, depending on how hungry you are!

This recipe was insipred by her recipe in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment