Sunday, December 5, 2010

Nut triangles

It's snowing! Like crazy! It's almost christmas! I really love this time of the year! Sitting inside with a hot cup of tea, trying to count the millions of snow flakes that  rush past my window, and the christmas candy in the oven is spreading a promising scent...
Nut triangles are a classic German christmas candy, but are also sold and eaten throughout the rest of the year as well. I made some last weekend and brought them along to a nice creative afternoon spent in the outskirts of Berlin in the sewing studio of Kaffiknopf - a very talented friend of mine: check out her homepage if you still need chistmas gifts for children or coffee-cozy lovers or knitting-addicts because she sells all kinds of cute handmade prodcuts she makes in her studio which always seems flooded with light.
In exchange for some nut triangles, she let me use her sewing machine and never tired of my stupid questions on how to continue my little sewing project!





copyright of all photos j.

Nut triangles

For the crust:

110 gr of spelt flour
25 gr of sugar
1 tsp. of vanilla sugar
1/2 egg (or one really tiny one)
50 gr of butter

For the topping:

2-4 tbsp of apricot jam or hjortron (cloudberry)

100 gr of butter
115 gr of sugar
1 tbsp. of heavy cream
100 gr of finely ground hazelnuts
50 gr of coarsly ground or chopped hazelnuts

50 gr of dark chocolate

For the crust, cut the cold butter into small cubes, add the flour, the sugar, the vanilla sugar and the egg and mix. Let  the dough rest in the fridge for about an hour. Preheat the oven at 180 ° C and spread the dough about 1 cm think into a square baking pan. This was sort of messy with my dough, but the cookies still tasted fine in the end, so don't start to worry, if the dough has a mind of its own. Prebake the dough for about 10 minutes. While the dough is in the oven, prepare the topping. Melt the butter with the sugar and the heavy cream in a casserole, turning it into lightly browned caramel. Add all the nuts. Take the dough out of the oven and spread the apricot or cloudberry jam on the crust. Then, take the nut caramel and spread it out  on top of the jam layer evenly. Put the baking pan back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes until the topping has a nice brown color. 
Once out of the oven, let the big square cool off for a while, but not until it has entirely cooled off. To cut the big square into neat small triangles, it is necessary for the topping to still be luke warm. After you have cut the big square into the triangles, let these cool off before you melt the chocolate. Now, dip two corners of the nut triangles in chocolate.
It's time to enjoy the triangles. They are really dense, though, so it is good to know that they keep fresh and tasty in a can for 2-4 weeks!

This recipe was inspired by her recipe for Nussecken in German.

5 comments:

  1. Today I will start to make the in my family popular chocolates, could I swap some for your nut triangles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these today for our forthcoming dinner on Friday, and early testing is getting a positive response from everyone.

    I do have a quick query for you about the caramel - there just didn't seem to be enough of it! For me, it didn't coat the nuts, which were just crumbling apart rather than sticking together.

    I doubled the amount of caramel in the end - which wasn't a problem and the outcome was great - but did I do something wrong somewhere?

    I wondered if I used the wrong hazelnuts: for the finely ground hazelnuts I used "gemahlen" hazelnuts, which are almost like flour. Should I perhaps have gone for something ground a bit coarser?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Thyme Supperclub: Actually, I was also surprised about the consistency of the caramel while it was still in the casserole: it was completely crumbly and I thought: this is never going to work. But I stuck to the recipe and spread the crumbly mixture on top of the marmelade layer, lightly pressing it with the backside of a spoon. I noticed that the nutcaramel didn't stay crumbly in the oven: due to the heat during the baking process, the caramel melted again, and though not being really sticky, the nut layer didn't crumble right off afterwards either. I do think though that it's also fine to just use more butter and sugar (and maybe a pinch of salt?). Like you, I used "gemahlene" hazelnuts. You might also try to use less "gemahlene" nuts and more "gehackte" nuts. I also made a quite thick jam-layer, so that could have helped my crumbly nutcaramel to stick a little better!
    I hope this was helpful, if not, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know I wasn't the only one who thought the caramel just didn't look right. Next time I will be more trusting and go ahead with the crumbly nut caramel regardless.

    Mine don't look quite as perfect as your's, but they taste great.

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know I served these at dinner on Friday and they were a great hit. I'll be putting up my version of the recipe soon on my website with a credit to you.

    Hope to meet you again at some point in the New Year.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete