Sunday, November 14, 2010

Almond Potato Casserole

Does it happen to you too, that you have a shopping list that you want to stick to, but when you're at the market and you see this and that and also some of these, then you screw your plans and buy more than you actually need? It happens to me a lot and so I often end up with a weird combo of vegetables in my kitchen. It triggers the imagination though, because it makes me come up with new ideas on how to combine the different flavors. Today's dish is such a case. When I realized, that my favorite organic farm stand was still selling almond potatoes, I bougth some. Next, I fell for some nice looking mushrooms, and hey, when you see an eggplant which has not been pumped up with water to the size of a football, you just have to buy it, so one of those went into my basket as well. 
So here I was, standing in my kitchen - eggplants, almond potatoes and mushrooms lying in front of me - suddenly having a brain wave in the shape of two eggs. I clearly have a foodie's imagination. The almond potato casserole was born!






copyright of all photos j.

Almond potato casserole

20 almond potatoes
20 button mushrooms
1 small eggplant
2 eggs
80 ml of sour cream
some grated cheese (optional, swiss cheese, gruyère, whatever suits you best)
thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg

Preheat the oven at 160 °C. Thoroughly clean the potatoes, but do not peel them. Pre-boil them in salted water for about 5 minutes. Cut the eggplant and the mushrooms into small dices and fry them in a pan. Add some salt and pepper. In the meantime, mix the eggs with the sourcream, some salt, pepper and nutmeg. Now, take two small casseroles and fill each with half of the eggplant and mushroom dices.  Pour the egg-cream mixture on top. Take 10 almond potatoes each and place them on top, let them sink into the egg-cream mix. Sprinkle with thyme and, if you like, grated cheese. Put the casseroles in the oven and leave them there for about 30 minutes or until the egg-mix thickens.

It is a really nice vegetarian dinner, but I would like to try it with chorizo in it, too. And I am sure it would also make a nice side dish to a piece of red meat.

1 comment:

  1. All the time! I bought 3 kgs of apples I wasn't planning on buying today. But I happened across a farm selling them and I couldn't resist!
    Nice to meet you on Friday! Blog coming up soon about the evening : )

    ReplyDelete