Sunday, October 17, 2010

The drowning apples' cake

Finally, I am posting about what I made with the apples which I brought home with me from my excursion to Lake of Constance! I sure hope you will feel like it has been worth the wait, but I promise you, this recipe is so easy-peasy (I spare you the word pun: making this cake is a piece of cake!), you'll end up with a great cake before you know it!
The recipe for this apple cake is from my magic book which is a handwritten cookbook with my favorite recipes from back home. Sort of the thing that you would make sure to take along when running out of your burning home. Apple cakes have a special place in my culinary heart. The problem is: I love them all! There is apple cakes with crumbles, tarte tatin, italian apple cake, tarte aux pommes etc. etc. I consider myself somewhat indicisive, so you might understand the dilemma I am in when I want to make an apple cake: which one should it be? This time, though, another important factor had to be considered: the cake had to be easy to eat without plates and forks! Thus, I was already able to eliminate some of my favorite apple cakes and I finally came to the conclusion that the drowning apples' cake would be my pick of the day. Why drowning apples? Because the apples which you lightly place on top of the dough will, in the end be almost entirely covered in the dough just as if they were drowning in the dough!







The drowning apples' cake

With this recipe, you have to do the math yourself. Don't hyperventilate, it's easy!

You need:

2 or 3 eggs
flour weighing as much as the eggs
sugar weighing as much as the eggs
butter weighing as much as the eggs
1 pinch of salt
1 tsp. of baking powder
a pinch of cinnamon (optional)
2-3 apples

Weigh the eggs. Now, take that number and use an accoding amount of all the other ingredients. If you use 2 eggs, and they weigh 120 gr together, take 120 gr of flour, if you take three eggs weighing 180 gr, take 180 gr of flour. See, it's easy, I told you!

Preheat the oven at 150-160 °C. Mix the butter with the sugar and beat until they are creamy and light. Add the eggs and the salt. Add the flour and the baking powder (and the optional cinnamon). Spread the dough into a baking pan, it should cover the entire pan and be about 2-3 cm high. Now peel the apples. I know, I know, how dare I cut away the peel, the place where all the apple's vitamines live. Listen, folks. We are talking cake here. If you want healthy food, go eat a salad! So, again, peel the apples. Quarter each apple and cut out the core. Then, take a quarter into your hand, with the outer side of the apple facing toward you. Take a sharp knife and quickly cut into the apple, so that it looks like fine slices, but do not cut all the way through! Take the quarter and place it on top of the cake. Coninue accordingly until the entire cake is covered with apples. There should be a 1 cm space between the apple-pieces, so that the dough can rise around them. Put the cake in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
If you feel funky, you can also sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar and/or cinnamon once it has cooled off.

Update: I have entered this recipe in Damaris' November cook off over at her fabulous blog kitchen corners! Quick, go check it out and all the other tasty apple-recipes! Note: this recipe was not typed in using an apple-mac.

13 comments:

  1. That looks like a very easy and straight forward delicious apple cake. Yummy.
    Ist es nicht sehr schoen am Konstanzer See? Da war ich schon ewig nicht mehr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - war das unser Flohmarktkuchen? Sehr lecker! Das Rezept kenn ich auch noch aus meiner Kindheit. Versunkener Apfelkuchen, stimmt's? Die englische Version klingt irgendwie so schön dramatisch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. woah that looks so awesome. I finally picked apples last week, well my husband did.. I should try to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ My kitchen in the rockies: Ja, Bodensee ist immer ein Muss wenn ich in Süddeutschland bin!

    @Manuela: Ja, das war unser Flohmarktkuchen! Versunkener Apfeklkuchen hört sich aber auch toll an, so nach in Gedanken versunken!

    @Damaris: You definitely should! It really is a quick and easy type of everyday-cake, yet it taste as good as a special-occasion cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I made this wonderful cake and I linked you on my post about it. Thanks for sharing!
    http://cassandrallen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was the most entertaining recipe I have ever read. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by, Mariana! That's what I am here for, to entertain people! I hope you will also bake the cake, I am sure it will entertain your taste buds as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man kann hier auch auf Deutsch commenten?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mariana: Man kann hier auf deutsch, englisch, schwedisch, französisch, dänisch, norwegisch, spanisch, italienisch und Kiswahili commenten und wird mehr oder weniger verstanden. Man darf natürlich auch auf chinesisch, arabisch, holländisch und retoromanisch commenten, schließlich freue ich mich über jeden Gast, nur verstehen tu ich es dann leider nicht...
    Guten Appetit wünsche ich für den Kuchen, davon hätte ich jetzt auch gerne ein Stückchen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dieser Kuchen ist wunderbar! Vielen Dank für das Rezept! (Ich habe einen Teil des Mehls durch Vollkornmehl ersetzt, weil mir das andere ausgegangen ist. Das hat auch funktioniert!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake is very similar to my Grandmother's apple cake! I love it.
    And it is in my handwritten recipebook from home as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Mone: Thanks for stopping by! I can't believe it has been such a long time since I last made this cake (havn't made one since this post)... Handwritten recipebooks are the best aren't they? I hope they won't die out in the age of food blogging!

    ReplyDelete