Sunday, October 31, 2010

Carrot or stick?

Taking down the trash. Going to the dentist. Getting your annual tax declaration ready. Tidying up your room. Everyday life is full of things that we don't really feel like doing, but we have to do. Right now, for instance, instead of writing this bloggpost I actually should be winterizing my balcony. I should also do the dishes. And while we are at it, there is also this large pile of laundry waiting for a ride in the washing machine carousel. So, what to do about all the "shoulds" in our lives? 
How about the good old carrot-trick? A reward that you can look forward to while being busy with the "shoulds"?
Today's recipe takes the carrot literally, and for me, the trick really works! Luxurious buttered vanilla carrots make me look for an unpopular chore so that I have an excuse for a reward! 

What's your culinary reward that serves as your carrot (or do you prefer the stick)?




copyright of all photos j.

Buttered vanilla carrots

one medium size carrot per person
1/2 of a vanilla bean
1 tbsp of butter
1 tsp of brown sugar

Peel the carrots and cut them into thin slices. Boil the slices in salt water for 5 minutes then drain them. In a pan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and the vanilla which you scratched out of the bean. Then, add the carrot slices. Let caramelize for 1-2 minutes.
Buttered vanilla carrots are an excellent side dish during fall. They go very well together with fish, but I also like them along with heartier meals, such as duck.

2 comments:

  1. I was meant to vaccum then write up some recipes for class but when I got home this evening I got it into my head that I really, really needed to try a chocolate buttermilk cake recipe out. So as soon as I got through the door I set to it. So dangling carrots are lethal to me I just ignore everything untilnthe carrotnis eaten! Nice blog, found you via Foodieinberlin. I used to live in Germany too for many years and have to confess am a bit partial to some of the schlachtplatter contents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @peasepudding: I am glad you found my blog! You are more than welcome to stay, even though you might like some of the items on a Schlachtplatte!

    ReplyDelete