Sunday, September 5, 2010

Well, then why don't you?

"Well, then why don't you?" was what my sister said back in May when I told her that if I ever had a foodblog, I would call it Schlachtplatte. Usually, I am not that obedient, when my sister tells me to do something. But for whatever reason, she gave me the final push to start this blog and here we are! I hope you readers are as happy as I am that my sister said "Well, then why don't you?". 
When I gave a scarf and some strawberry jam to a friend as a birthday present in july, my sister whined that she also wanted to get such nice presents. And again, I obeyed (well, maybe after all, I am quite obedient!). So, for her birthday, she got a beautiful twisted snood scarf and her favorite jam- fig jam, that is!
The fig jam tastes delicious, though its taste reminds me more of poppyseed than figs, now you go and try to explain that to me!







copyrigth of all photos j.


Fig jam

500 gr of organic figs
1 lime
1 vanilla bean
250 gr of preserving sugar

Cut the figs into small cubes and put them into a saucepan. Squeeze the lime and mix the juice with the figs. Scratch out the vanilla bean and add to the figs. Pour the preserving sugar onto the figs. Let the mixture stand for about 2 hours. That way, the figs get all gooey and runny. Bring the whole mix to a boil and boil for about 3-5 minutes while constantly stirring. Fill the hot jam into thoroughly cleansed glass jars, and close  them immediatley. Makes three small glasses. 

The jam tastes extraordinarily delcicious with goat cheese and Knäcke (crisp bread). But if you like it so much that you would love to eat it by the spoonful, I hope that someone dear to you says "Well, then why don't you?"

3 comments:

  1. Good thing you listen to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nom! Der Schal sieht lecker aus, und die Marmelade auch!!! Ich finde ja, es kann gar nicht genug Essen geben, das nach Mohn schmeckt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! My favourite jam flavour is fig. I usually buy this organic brand in Athens which I just love! Will try out your recommendation for the Vietnamese place.

    ReplyDelete