Sunday, August 1, 2010

Meals on wheels - Part I

I am back from a wonderful vacation in Coastal California and have millions of photos. I spare you the stunning landscape views and go straight to the photos of things this blog is concerned with. First, let's talk about farmers' markets. It's been more than 5 years since I spent some time in California, and since then the popularity of markets where farms sell their products must have increased rapidly. I remember farm stalls along the road, but not entire markets. The markets give a colorful display of the season's freshest products, most of which are locally grown and organic. I especially enjoyed the farmers' market in Santa Monica on Saturdays and the one in Malibu on Sundays where one of the stalls sells the best home-made lemonade I ever drank. We bought lots of locally grown peaches, nectarines, plums and raspberries, but I was especially impressed with the large variety of cherry tomatoes. Not only do they come in every shade of red, yellow, orange and purple imaginable - they also taste delicious. As a matter of fact, the markets were so mouthwatering that the next time we will be back in California, we need to book rooms with a kitchen! This time, the markets only provided snacks for picnics on the beach and  inspirations for back home. 
The following impressions speak for themselves. 
















copyright of all photos j.

Can anyone tell me the name of the fruit in the second picture from below? A nice lady in the market actually told me, but I forgot. I only remember that it is supposed to have white meat.
And, if you live in  California and plan on moving, why don't you use this company with a  funny food-related name to help you with the move?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, tolle Fotos! Da bekomm ich gleich Reisefieber. Und die Himbeeren will ich sofort alle aufessen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guyabano,The soursop (Annona muricata)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ anonymous: Thanks, but how sad that I didn't get rigth there that these were soursops! When I lived in Palau, the soursop was my favorite fruit, the taste is just sooo cool, and the islanders would make soursop icream by mashing up the meat and freezing it - yummy! I didn't recognize the soursap in the farmers' market though because the ones in Palau were as big as a child's head and had litte spikes! Oh well, next time, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos! Can Alice Waters come to Germany and start s food revolution here please?

    ReplyDelete