Sunday, July 25, 2010

The secret's in the sauce

If you asked my sister what I am having for dinner, she would say: "She's either eating Spaghetti Carbonara or her rice-noodle dish." She claims that I eat those two dishes constantly, whereas I claim, that she only asks me about my dinner the days I am preparing one of them. 
Fair enough, I do eat my rice-noodle dish quite often. It is just sooo tasty, fresh, it takes only a few minutes to assemble, and - drumroll - you only need one pan to prepare it! That might not be so relevant to all you dish-washer-owners out there, but to me, it means less dishes to do!
Of course my recipe probably has as little to do with real Asian cuisine as a hamburger (what's the Chinese word for tex-mex??), but you should still give it a try. Oh, and of course: the secret's in the sauce!






copyright of all photos j.

Rice-noodles with vegetables, chicken and Unagi Sauce (or Nr. 204 at your local Asian restaurant)

rice noodles
1 chicken filet
1 leek
2 small carrots
1 handfull of cashew nuts
unagi sauce

Put the noodles into a bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour it over the noodles. Set aside. Chop the leek and the carrots into slices. Preheat the pan. Before you add any oil, slightly roast the cashew nuts in the pan. Take them out of the pan and set them aside. Add some oil and fry the vegetables, adding some pepper and salt. Cut the chicken into small pieces in the meantime. Take the vegetables out of the pan, if necessary add more oil, and fry the chicken. Take the noodles out of the water, and mix them with the vegetables and the chicken. Top everything off with the roasted cashew nuts. Now comes the best part: Take out the bottle of Unagi-sauce which you purchased at your trusted Asian store and pour a fair amount over the dish. 
I also found recipes on the net for making Unagi sauce from scratch, but so far, I have always relied on the manufactured sauce. I do want to try making my own some day, so helpful comments are always appreciated.
Makes two servings, of which I usually eat one the next day. You can also scramble all the ingredients together in the pan, that way, the sugar in the Unagi-Sauce will caramelize even more. 

Final comment: I sure do hope that "Maruyasu" means something like "Enjoy your meal" rather than "our chef never washes his hands".

No comments:

Post a Comment