Sunday, June 27, 2010

Pesto

I got a blender for my birthday this year. And I like splatter movies. No, wait, wrong story. Anyway, so I recieved a blender for my birthday and, to be honest, I really don't remember how I prepared meals without it or if I even cooked without it. It feels like it immediately became my number one kitchen untensile. I use it to make smoothies, to make pancake dough, and I also use it to make pesto. 
Now, pesto, is preparing pesto really cooking? Well it might not be the most elaborate dish, but it sure can be one of the tasties. I highly recommend to really spend an extra penny on the ingredients though, since dull olive oil can really ruin the whole pesto and turn your pasta into a greasy mess. Also, if you are still a beginner in this lovely food-blogging world of ours, like I am, take my piece of advice and choose other dishes to take photos of. There is a reason why the pesto and pasta are not mixed on the photos. Pesto was not made for food-photography, I think, but I tried my very best. 



copyright of all photos j.

Pesto

1-2 hand(s) full of fresh basil leaves
2-3 tablespoons of pine nuts, cashew nuts, or a mixture of both
100 ml of olive oil
3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan or Pecorino
1 garlic clove
some salt and pepper

Roast the nuts in a pan and let them cool off. Put the olive oil, the basil, the garlic, the cheese and the nuts into a blender and mix it all until you get a smooth pesto. Try some, and in case it is necessary, add some salt and pepper. Be aware that the cheese already contains salt, so don't be too easy on adding extra salt before you try. This recipe makes 2-3 servings. You can keep the pesto in the fridge  for a couple of days if you cover the surface with a layer of olive oil. You can eat this pesto with bread, cheese, or pasta. When you mix the pesto with pasta, add a little bit of the water you used to cook the pasta. That way, it will be extra creamy. 


3 comments:

  1. Ja, ein Leben ohne Blender ist nicht einfach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, schon wieder ein Rezept, das ich unbedingt mal ausprobieren muss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ My kitchen in the Rockies: ja ein Leben ohne Blender ist kein Leben!

    @ Muckla: dann warte aber noch 2 Wochen, bis Du frisches Basilikum vom Balkon ernten kannst!

    ReplyDelete