Saturday, May 29, 2010

Shrimp in a blanket

I really like Zora's new blog event. Home-made take away food is something I prepare a lot since I try to avoid eating at the cafeteria. For me, the perfect lunch is really tasty and not too expensive.  That works best when I prepare my own meals. So, I am really looking forward to get inspired by the recipes that all the creative food bloggers will send in. In the meantime, I will share one of my favorite home-made take away dishes - Shrimp in a blanket. The name is inspired by the good ol' pig in a blanket, which I have never eaten and probably never will because I am not tooo fond of sausages (you never know which left-overs the butcher used to make them). Now, for pigs in a blanket, you take one "blanket" for every "pig". With shrimp, that would mean an awful lot of tucking tired little shrimp in bed. So instead, the shrimp all get to share one blanket, it's cozier that way. And, since I am no seamstress, I buy the blankets at the supermarket. Before you now start to think "what the hell is she talking about? Blanket, pigs and shrimp?" - here is the recipe.




Copyrigth of all photos j.

Shrimp in a blanket

1 package of puff pastry (6 sheets)
4-5 cherry tomatoes
3-4 tablespoons of dill
70-100 gr of cream cheese
100 gr of shrimp
salt
pepper
1 egg yoke

Defrost the puff pastry. Shame on me for not making fresh puff pastry, but the point of home -made take away food is that it should be something you can take along to work and at the same time, it shouldn't destroy your free evening the day before. So, we take the quick and simple option. Where were we in the recipe? Ahh, yeah, so defrost the puff pastry. Preheat the oven at 200 °C. Cut the cherry tomatoes in small dices. Strain the shrimp if they came in brine. Mix the shrimp, the tomatoe dices, the dill and the cream cheese. Season with pepper and salt, but be careful with the salt as the shrimp are usually already quite salty. Once the puff pastry has thawed, take the filling and place an equal amount of it in the middle of each pastry sheet. Then, fold every sheet and close the ends by tightly pressing them together. I sometimes use a fork, but your fingers work just fine, too. Take the egg yoke and brush the top of the pastry. Put the pastries into the oven, and bake until they get a nice golden brown color, which is usually after 20-25 minutes. 
Makes six servings which means you can eat two of them right away out of the oven when they are still hot for diner. The rest make a perfect lunch the next day, as they also taste great cold. If I liked hiking, I could also imagine that they would complement a perfect picknick.

I would like to nominate this recipe for Zorra's blog event "Essen für unterwegs".

5 comments:

  1. Ich mag das Essen in unserer Mensa auch nicht und hoffe daher auch auf viele gute Ideen!
    Die Shrimps im Schlafrock klingen auf jeden Fall lecker!
    Danke fürs Mitmachen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice one. I am still not sure what to do for the event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like the perfect alternative to my daily booooring ham and cheese sandwich lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Schöne Bilder und schmecken tut's sicher auch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Zorra: Es ist wirklich lecker! So eine Art Mittagessen, um das man von allen Kantinen-Essern am Tisch beneidet wird!

    ReplyDelete