Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cookies gone sour?

Some like it hot and some like it sour. Hedonistin does, for example (see here, here or here for instance). I do, too. I love to start my day with a fresh pink grapefruit. And I like all baked things with lemon, lime, pomelo, you name it. My problem with lemon cookies usually is that by the time they come out of the oven, you can only hint that lemon was put into the dough. That's why I always triple the amount of lemon juice required in a recipe. Here is my version of  'cookies gone sour'.







copyright of all photos j.


Lemon cookies with lime sprinkles

175 butter (at room temperature)
200 g sugar
200 g flour
1 egg
zests of 2 (organic!) lemons
4 tablespoons of lemon juice
50 g ground almonds

for the topping: 
(organic!) lime zests
confectioner's sugar
lime or lemon juice

Preheat the oven at 180 °C. Cream the butter, the sugar, the egg and the lemon zests until light. Add the flour and the ground almonds. Add the lemon juice.  The dough is really sticky, and when I say sticky, I mean sticky. You can put in in the freezer where it will stiffen and then be easier to form nice looking cookies, but I am usually too impatient for that. Take some baking paper and make little doughballs (about 2 cm in diameter). Now, take any drinking glas you like, dip the bottom in some sugar and press it onto the dough balls to flaten them. The sugar helps to keep the sticky dough away from the glas.  Dip the glass into the sugar repeatedly.
Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes, until they turn brown at the edge. Allow the cookies to cool off. In the mean time, prepare the topping. Mix a little bit of lemon or lime juice with confectioner's sugar. The more sugar you use, the firmer the topping will be, but also the sweeter. I usually don't use that much sugar, and cover my cookies only lightly with the topping. I then add more sugar  to the mixing bowl to stiffen the topping and by using a tiny pastry bag, decorate the lightly frosted cookies with wild patterns. Before the frosting gets the chance to harden, I sprinkle lime zests over the cookies which will stick to the still sticky frosting. 
You can keep the cookies in a sealed metal box for about two weeks, though they usually only survive a couple of days... Makes about 30 cookies, although this is only an estimated guess: By the time I started counting, I had already tried one when the cookies came straight out of the oven, one when I added the first layer of topping, another one, when... well, you get my point.
To go with the cookies, I recommend a nice and warm cup of Earl Grey Tea.

1 comment:

  1. I’m usually not too keen on all things lemony, but I love cookies and these look really tasty, so I guess it’s time to give the lemon a second chance in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete